I recently passed a major milestone in life: I turned thirty. I don’t feel particularly different, or even that much older. Nonetheless, I’ve found myself reflecting recently over the past decade of my life. I changed a lot, and I learned even more. So, today, I’d like to share with you twenty important lessons I learned during my twenties.
1. I am totally awesome exactly the way I am (and you are, too).
2. If you care about someone, tell them or show them as often as you can.
3. Worrying takes up a lot of time and energy that could be better applied to other things.
4. The ability to live on your own and take care of yourself is essential. You should be in a relationship because you want to be in one, not because you need someone to take care of you.
5. Know out how much liquor you can realistically handle and how to avoid a hangover the next day.
6. Karaoke is all about the performance, not the quality of your voice.
7. There are a million better things to do with your day than watching television.
8. No matter how much it hurts right now, you will feel better in time.
9. Always make time for friends, no matter how busy you are.
10. You have to work hard to get what you want.
11. The perfect hairstylist will change your life. Never stop searching until you find her.
12. Be realistic about what you expect of yourself.
13. Life is what you make it.
14. Always be positive.
15. Spend time with people you actually enjoy spending time with. Don’t be afraid to let toxic relationships die.
16. Never assume you know best. There is always more to learn.
17. Admit when you’ve made a mistake, right away.
18. Be patient. Things take time.
19. That thing you don’t want to do? Do it now. You’ll feel better when it’s done.
20. Never stop believing that you can change the world.