Don’t miss a thing! Sign up to the Daily Star’s newsletter
Former world darts champion Ted Hankey has pleaded guilty to one count of sexual assault.
Hankey, 54, appeared at Warrington Magistrates' Court on Thursday charged with intentionally touching a woman over the age of 16 in the latter part of 2021. District Judge Nicholas Sanders adjourned the case to Chester Crown Court where Hankey will be sentenced on May 12.
The Crown Prosecution Service initially charged two-time world champion Hankey on Thursday, March 31 after reviewing evidence from the Cheshire Constabulary, where the incident occurred last September.
Hackney spoke at Warrington Magistrates' Court on Thursday to confirm his name, age and address and pleaded guilty to the charge The court heard he was charged with intentionally touching a woman over the age of 16 on September 10 last year.
Jonathan Wilkinson, prosecuting, said the victim was under 18. District Judge Nicholas Sanders said the case would be sent to Chester Crown Court, where Hankey will be sentenced on May 12.
He told Hankey he would become subject to notification requirements and should report to a local police station as he granted him conditional bail. The charge relates to an incident in Cheshire.
Hankey, of Wendover Grove, Berry Hill, Stoke-on-Trent, arrived at court with a black snood pulled up to cover the lower half of his face.
Nicknamed 'The Count' on the oche, Hankey won the BDO World Darts Champion in 2000 and 2009. He has also reached the semi-finals of the BDO World Masters on three separate occasions, most recently in 2004.
He received a PDC Tour Card in 2012 but failed to make any real inroads in the organisation and missed the 2013 World Championship due to a stroke.
Hankey's last major result came at the Grand Slam of Darts, where he reached the quarter-finals in 2013.
- Breaking News
Source: Read Full Article