Bangladeshi man is reunited with his mother after 70 years

Bangladeshi man, 82, is reunited with his nearly 100-year-old mother after 70 years after his social media plea brought them together and she identified him by a tear-mark on his hand

  • Abdul Kuddus Munsi, 82, was reunited with his elderly mother at the weekend
  • It followed a social media plea appealing for help finding Kuddus’ parents
  • He was sent to live with an uncle but lost touch with family after running away
  • All he could remember of his family were his parents’ names and their village
  • Villager saw social media post and informed Kudds that his mother was still alive
  • The pair were reunited in western city of Rajshahi for the first time in decades
  • Though unable to speak, his mother recognised son by a tear-mark on his hand 

A Bangladeshi man in his 80s has been reunited with his nearly 100-year-old mother after 70 years after making a plea on social media.

‘This is the happiest day of my life,’ Abdul Kuddus Munsi, 82, told AFP news agency from Brahmanbaria, the eastern border district where he was born in 1939.

At age 10, Kuddus was sent to live with his uncle, but lost touch with his family after running away and being adopted by two sisters.       

In April a businessman posted a video of Kuddus on Facebook, appealing for help finding his parents. 

All Kuddus could remember about his first decade was the name of his parents and his village.

Abdul Kuddus Munsi (left) described the reunion with his mother, Mongola Nessa, as ‘the happiest day of my life’

A distant relative in the village spotted the post and informed Kuddus that his mother, Mongola Nessa, thought to be in her late 90s, was still alive.

Kuddus – himself a father to three grown-up sons and five daughters – travelled about 350 kilometres (220 miles) from the western city of Rajshahi, to end the decades of estrangement.

Over the weekend he was finally reunited with his mother, who identified him by a tear-mark on his hand, as well as his sister.

‘My mother is very old and she can’t speak properly,’ he added. ‘She was crying after seeing me and holding my hands.

‘I told her that your son is back and you don’t have to worry about anything from now.’

‘They held each other’s hands and cried for a long time as they were reunited,’ Kuddus’s nephew Shafiqul Islam told AFP.

‘Hundreds of villagers who came to see this remarkable scene also had tears in their eyes.’

Share this article

Mongola Nessa (right) was able to recognise her long-lost son by a tear-mark on his hand

Source: Read Full Article