UK man attacked with a sickle in Thailand died from contusions

British man, 49, who was fatally stabbed with a sickle by a neighbour in Thailand in a row over music died from brain stem and spinal cord contusion, inquest hears

  • Shaun Dagnan, 55, Warwickshire survived the attack in Mueang Kanchanburi

A British man who was stabbed to death with a sickle in a grisly murder over the volume of music in Thailand, died from brain stem and spinal cord contusion, an inquest has heard.

Marcus Evans, 49, died from a knife wound in the back of his neck after getting into an altercation with his Thai neighbour over noise, in January 2022 in the Tha Makham district of Mueang Kanchanburi.

One of Mr Evans’ friends, Shaun Dagnan, 55, from Nuneaton in Warwickshire was also involved in the attacked, sustaining serious injuries.

Dagnan had flown out to the south east Asian country to spend time with his partner. 

Neighbours had said the two Brits had been eating and drinking with friends, meanwhile playing music from a Bluetooth speaker.

Marcus Evans, 49, had reportedly been living in Thailand for five years with his partner Wassana Muanchit, 33

Prasut Thipthep, 23, murdered the engineer from Somerset with a sickle often used for harvesting

Thipthep (pictured) was reportedly found hiding in a nearby house, covered in blood 

Shaun Dagnan, 55, from Nuneaton, Warwickshire was also involved in the attacked, sustaining serious injuries but surviving

But 23 year old male neighbour Prasut Thipthep, 23, became angry and attacked the men with the metal sickle, which is commonly used for harvesting.

Thai Police later confirmed he was later charged with intentional manslaughter after being found hiding in a nearby house. He is said to have been ‘trembling and covered in blood’. 

Speaking at a press conference in January, Thanayut said: ‘From the investigation, the accused confessed that the cause of the death came from a disagreement with the deceased.

‘The injured victim and the deceased were drinking alcohol and playing loud music during the night until it caused dissatisfaction with the perpetrator and leading him to attack the men.’

The assistant coroner Stephen Covell recorded a conclusion of unlawful killing for the engineer from Berrow, Burnham-on-Sea, Somerset.

The attack took place outside a rented room in Kanchanaburi, in central Thailand

Mother-of-one Muanchit returned to her home in Kanchanaburi, 90 miles from Bangkok, when a neighbour told her ‘to check up on her husband’ in the early hours of Saturday

Police said the suspect was resident of Kanchanaburi (pictured)

He said Mr Evans was pronounced dead at 02.51am on January 22 2022, on Mae Nam Khwae Road as a result of a ‘knife wound to the back of the neck, inflicted by a male neighbour who had become angered by noise being created by the deceased and a friend during a late evening’.

The victim’s girlfriend, Wassana Muanchit, 33, who refers to herself as the wife of Marcus Evans, 49, revealed that Thai police allowed her to speak to her partner’s killer.

She told the Sun: ‘I looked in his eyes. I was still so angry at him. I asked him ”why did you kill my husband?”

‘I said I was very angry at him. I said ”why couldn’t you talk or ask nicely? You could have told me or told the police, but you shouldn’t have killed him”.’

Mr Evans is believed to have lived in Thailand for five years with Ms Muanchit. 

Source: Read Full Article